Looking for a fun summer-time activity? We are back with our 6th annual bike tour, in partnership with HUB Cycling Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows! From August 1 – 31, grab your bicycle and head out to Pitt Meadows, on unceded Katzie territory, for a leisurely ride by the water.
We’ve created a handy route map for those who register with places of interest, so you can learn about wild salmon habitat and the natural history of Pitt Meadows as you travel along the dike!
While on your adventure, snap some photos of yourself for a chance to win prizes from awesome local businesses!
How to participate in the event:
• Register on Eventbrite. We’ll send you a route map by July 30.
• Each time you complete a leg of the challenge, snap a photo of yourself and email it to us to be entered in our Bike the Dike raffle. (For a bonus entry, post your photo to Facebook or Instagram and use the hashtag #BikeTheDikePittMeadows).
• The bike tour runs from August 1- 31, so take your time and have fun with it!
• Once you register, please send a letter to Pitt Meadows mayor & council to thank them for maintaining the greenway and investing in fish-friendly flood control!
Registration through Eventbrite only. Please read all details before registering.
Rules and trail etiquette for people riding bikes
• Wear your helmet.
• Stay to the right so others can pass safely. Give other users ample space and move to the side if you stop.
• When passing, use your bell or your voice to politely warn you’re passing “on your left”, and thank people for moving to the side.
• Yield to pedestrians and horses.
• Slow down when approaching others. Children, horses, dogs and even adults can be unpredictable, so be prepared.
• Pack out what you pack in.
Win these fabulous prizes!
• 2 x mountain bike rental vouchers from Endless Biking
• 4 x free drop-in passes including rental shoes to the Hive Climbing Gym
• 2 x bike helmets from the Bike Zone
• 5 x electronic copies of Colleen MacDonald’s book, Let’s Go Biking
• A 25 L Black Hole tote bag from Patagonia
Interested in an extra challenge?
If you participate in Bike the Dike on a Sunday, you can join an additional art hide-and-seek. Local artist Melissa Burgher is giving away ten original oil paintings, which will be hidden along the Pitt Meadows dike.
Here’s how it will work:
- A new oil painting will be hidden every Sunday at noon.
- Melissa will be dropping hints via her Instagram and Facebook pages as to the location the night before. (We will share these hints in the Bike the Dike Facebook event too.)
- Paintings will be plastic wrapped and then paper wrapped colorfully, with a note attached to explain itis part of a painting give-away.
- If you find a painting, please post a pic and tag us and Melissa Fine Arts on Instagram and Facebook.