From May 20 to June 20, get together with your family and friends for a unique adventure exploring the sloughs and waterways in Chilliwack. It’s a great way to explore nature close to home, and you might be surprised at what you see along the way!
Grab a canoe, kayak or paddleboard and begin the Paddle the Slough Challenge at one of Chilliwack’s four “blueways” locations: Nelson Slough, Camp Slough, Hope Slough or the Bear Slough/ West Camp Slough. Blueways are waterways that meet specific accessibility requirements (launching capability, stopover sites, little or no current etc) and are suitable for recreational use by non-motorized watercraft.
We provide you with maps, detailing the route. (Links to download maps below.)
While on your adventure, snap some pics or short videos of yourself and your group and send them to firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to win some awesome prizes from local businesses including Mt. Waddington Outdoors, Valhalla Pure Outfitters, Pure Life SUP, Western Canoe and Kayak and Old Yale Brewing and more!
The Paddle the Slough Challenge is hosted by Watershed Watch Salmon Society and Friends of the Camp/Hope Slough. Aside from some good paddling fun, this event raises awareness about the potential for revitalization and restoration of Chilliwack’s sloughs.
How to participate in the event:
- Register for the event on EventBrite. Register your email and download the route maps.
- Be sure to read up on water safety and make sure your lifejackets are ready to go.
- Next, click the link provided in your confirmation email and send the city of Chilliwack a note. Our access to these waterways was made easier thanks to the City of Chilliwack’s Blueway Project, led by Glen MacPherson and Richard Fortin. The City rarely gets positive feedback so this is a time to flood them with how happy we are when they support recreational paddlers and healthy waterways in the community!
- Share the event with family and friends.
- Load up your canoe, kayak, dingy, or any flotation vessel you have and spend a fantastic day on the water! Please note: Many private properties back onto these waterways. Please be respectful of surrounding land owners! Stick to the water and the portage routes we highlight on our maps that will be sent to you shortly after registering.
- Each time you complete a leg of the challenge, snap a fun picture or 3-5 second video of your group and send it to email@example.com for a chance to win awesome prizes from local businesses! For an extra entry, also post your pics social media with the hashtag #2022paddletheslough
WASHROOMS: Super Save Gas helped us out and we now have portable washrooms on the far side of Kinsmen Hall. Address: 47130 Hope River Rd. Thanks for keeping our river banks clean and stopping at the washrooms before and after your paddle!