Do you live in Chilliwack? Join us between May 15 and June 20 for the 2021 Paddle the Slough Challenge for a fun day (or days) of adventuring along some of the Fraser Valley’s magnificent paddling watercourses.
Due to the pandemic, this year’s annual canoe tour is socially-distanced and self-guided to ensure participant safety and compliance with health authority guidelines.
Grab a canoe, kayak or paddleboard and begin the Paddle the Slough Challenge at one of Chilliwack’s four “blueways” locations: Nelson Slough, Camp Slough, Hope Slough or the Bear Slough/ West Camp Slough. Blueways are waterways that meet specific accessibility requirements (launching capability, stopover sites, little or no current etc) and are suitable for recreational use by non-motorized watercraft.
We provide you with maps, detailing the route. (Links to download maps below.) As you paddle, snap photos of yourself for chances to win some awesome prizes.
- One $200 gift certificate for Western Canoe & Kayak.
- One gift certificate for Purple Hayes School of Kayaking’s Introduction to Whitewater Kayaking course ($250 value).
- Two $50 gift certificates for PickEco.
- One $250, one $75 and one $25 gift card for Mt Waddington Outdoors.
- Two Mt. Waddington Outdoors Cheam Range t-shirts.
- Six hats, two t-shirts and one Kokatat Day pack from Nikki Rekman Sales – Kokatat – Werner.
- Ten coffee packs from Spirit Bear Coffee.
The Paddle the Slough Challenge is hosted by Watershed Watch Salmon Society and Friends of the Camp/Hope Slough. Aside from some good paddling fun, this event raises awareness about the potential for revitalization and restoration of Chilliwack’s sloughs.
How to participate in the event:
- Register for the event on EventBrite. Register your email and download the route maps.
- Next, click the link provided in your confirmation email and send the city of Chilliwack a note, thanking them for their efforts in establishing the city’s blueways program.
- Each time you complete a leg of the challenge, snap a photo of yourself out on the water and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. (For a bonus entry, post the pics you snap to our Facebook event page.)
- You have six weeks to complete the challenge, so take your time and have fun with it!
Please be advised:
- This event is limited to people residing within the local community. Due to travel restrictions, we cannot invite those outside the local health area to participate.
- The paddling route borders many private properties. Please be respectful, clean up after yourself and stick to the routes outlined on the maps provided.
- We require all participants wear masks, practice social distancing and avoid physical contact while participating in the event.
- Individuals who have travelled outside of Canada in the past two weeks, received instructions to isolate or quarantine, or are experiencing symptoms (fever, cough, fatigue etc) associated with COVID-19 are disallowed from participating in this event.
Leave A Comment