Salmon spawning season offers an opportunity to witness one of the truly great miracles of the natural world. Between late August and December, salmon are returning to their natal streams all across the province.
With the changing climate, and the many pressures wild salmon face, the numbers of salmon returning to each stream is changing. While we can make predictions, we don’t yet know exactly what will happen on the ground.
You can help build a picture of what is happening with salmon around the province with just your phone and a social media account.
How to take part in #SalmonSpawnWatch
- Go to see the salmon spawn, or where you expect them to spawn. (Check out our list of some popular spots around the province.)
- Use your phone to take pictures or make a short video. Film the water and environment if you like. Or better yet, film yourself describing where you are, what day it is and what you observe. (If there are no salmon returning, and you expect them to, that is an important observation too!)
- Post on social media (whatever platforms you use) with the hashtag #SalmonSpawnWatch. Tag Watershed Watch for good measure.
- When you post, include the date and location in the text of your post.
- If you don’t use social media, or have troubles posting, just send the photos or video to us with the date and location and we will post in your behalf.
- The contest runs now until October 25th at midnight.
Enter and win an incredible 3-day getaway from REO Rafting Resort
We are thrilled to announce that each person who enters #SalmonSpawnWatch will have the opportunity to win a life-changing, all-inclusive getaway in the Fraser Canyon! Click here for FULL details on this life-changing prize.